Friday, October 23, 2009

Cold Burn


Cold Burn
Originally uploaded by McF Studios

Way before dawn. Seems like an appropriate first image. This is from a recent portfolio trip to the Palisade WSA, on the western slope of Colorado. Chasing a notion that fall colour is peaking out there (it was past the peak), I packed and ran out of town for the week.
This area was mentioned in a book called "Colorado's Canyon Country", which suggested the photogenicty (don't bother looking it up it's not a real word, but "artistic license and such"). This was the view from camp on the first morning. After finding the Palisade, I got the map and compass out to find roads leading to the canyon rim. Found this spot down an old mining road with what appeared to be an old "Property For Sale" sign. These former pinon trees were once victim to a wildfire, but most of the ground cover had re-grown and you'll get to see some of that in future posts. No idea what plane that is, doesn't matter much I guess, since I don't have any immediate extraterrestrial photo plans.
I mentioned it's before dawn. For some reason I got up at 4am, even though I know the light wouldn't start until 6:30am. But there I was in a down bag staring at the stars and waiting. No complaints. I eventually started reading, since I was planning on shooting close to the Jeep.

     From my notebook:
blonde girl in jeep pulls / astride expressionless checks / me out I giggle

Leaving Fort Collins in a fog.
I consider the week ahead staring
bleary into the grey mourning.

ttfn-r.

No comments:

Post a Comment