Thursday, January 28, 2010

Doing What's Natural



Racing the sunrise this morning, literally.  Running down the trail while trying to get the camera mounted on the tripod.  Couldn't manage to get it centered in the head correctly, so I stopped and did it right.  Fired off a few shots of civil twilight hitting the clouds (view one here) just in case I missed the action when I got up the hill.  Threw the rig over my shoulder and continued the sprint.  I don't run much.  Recently joked that the only reason for an adult to run is from the cops.  Now look at me.  Victim of poor planning.  Got up early enough, but didn't pack anything the night before.  Completely out of practice.  But the running actually felt good, until the hill.  Then I started thinking about taking pictures of the frost melting off the stones in the trail because I was going to be face down soon, waiting on Search and Rescue.  Just a bit of drama in the morning, though, blood moving kept the fingers pink and the boots warm.  This is what I'm meant to do.  Get outside to experience me experiencing the natural world.  Wish it paid the rent, though.
Got up the hill, found my spot and started gunning through the film (digital memory just sounds wierd).  I walked through this local Natural Area a few weeks ago and got an idea the sun would be just about right this time of year for some early morning pictures. The shot above taught me the real importance of tripods... you can keep shooting while catching your breath.  Felt good to be outside shooting, again.  Thankfully the sunrise is pretty late, don't think I could handle a 3am start. There's an interesting feature right behind where I'm taking this shot.  In the next few days you'll be able to see what I think is worth runnning uphill in 15 degree weather to capture.  Funny thing, on the walk back down, I met a cop out to see if the report of a huge buck was true.  He asked me to stay on the trail.  I fought the urge to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment