Saturday, October 9, 2010

Nikon P7000 Field Test - UPDATE!

UPDATE:  November 2011  I noticed this page has received a bit of attention lately, and thought I'd let you all know how I'm getting on with this camera.  Well, it went to Nikon Service in April for repair of the lens blades, then it was replaced after developing the same lens blade problem, then replaced again, and then replaced once more all for the same lens blade problem.  When the camera worked it worked well.  Unfortunately, the five different SNs I used exhibited the same physical defect.  I could rant for a month about my frustration with this camera.  But our affair has ended and not at all too soon.  I'm taking recommendations for a new compact camera.  Supposedly the P7100 fixed a lot of the shortcomings of the AWFUL P7000.  Someone else will have to review that one, I'd rather go back to disc film!


Now back to the original post.
When the Nikon P7000 arrived a couple of days ago, I charged the battery and headed out for an eight mile hike.  Out of the box and into the field.  I didn't read any of the manual, didn't learn the buttons, tied a piece of webbing to the strap attachments and started using it.  This isn't a super technical review, just my reactions to being handed a new camera and trying to make interesting images while out enjoying the big bright Colorado sunshine.
Click through for samples and some running commentary.

Let’s start off with running.  Such as these Mule Deer.  Standing there, we just looked at one another, mutual curiosity.  No trouble bringing the camera up, and getting a first photo, but they were spooked by miscellaneous beeping, clicking and pseudo-shutter slapping.  All of these ridiculous sounds were promptly turned off.  Why would anyone want a camera, specially a Nikon, that emulates the wheezing shutter of a Canon AE-1?  Ok, first problem handled.  Gotta figure out that focus tracking, though.

Took the shot above to figure out what was going on with the Auto AF.  There isn’t an obvious foreground subject, so in the first shot the camera wanted to focus on the grass in the foreground, second shot it liked the two pinion in the center of the frame.  Ok, no more Auto AF for now, turned it to another option, which which was more manual, but at least predictable.  Keep in mind, that I didn’t read about any of the features or options on this camera.  I knew it’s specs and my expectations.  Finding a balance without frustration was my goal.
With a predictable focus point, I was moving on to colour and clarity.  There’s no test to give in the field that you can measure on an LCD screen in the sun.  This, however, is a reasonable measure.  If there is discernable colour reproduction and detail in the shadow and highlight areas of this kind of photo, you’ve got a usable file.  Stupid shot, but there’s lots of information in both areas.  Tells me this camera “sees” a decent range of light.  Keep moving.
How about shooting for HDR?  There’s an exposure compensation dial on the top which is pretty straight forward, but changing it meant moving the camera (no tripod on an eight mile hike).  Well... there’s an auto-bracketing menu, let’s try that.  Five shots @ 1 stop apart.  Tonemapping was accomplished in Photomatix 4.  Good start, considering I’ve never had any image from this class of camera hold up to tonemapping.
How about something kind of tricky.  Field of grass in the bright sun, steady breeze, after six miles of walking.
Wanna try a big sweeping landscape?  Lot’s of DoF, big open space?  Ok, climb that hill and find a good-ish foreground.  Now, I’m about seven miles on here, tired, sunburned, dehydrated and winded from plodding up this hill.  But buy this time, I’ve come to grips with the camera settings, so after a few adjustments, I got this.
The last leg of my hike followed a stream through a narrow (by comparison) canyon.  Shade at last.  That meant reseting the camera, again.  I’m too tired to care anymore and find solace in the AUTO option.
So what’s the verdict?
The P7000 preformed really well right out of the box.  The few problems I had were solved by reading the manual.  Like every tool, you have to practice using it.  In the end, I want to point and shoot, get a usable file, rinse and repeat.  I want DSLR control and responsiveness, in a small, easy to travel package.  I want a file that can be printed to 12”x18”, minimum.  Sometimes, I want to rely on the camera technology to make an informed decision when I don’t have the time or the faculties to do so.
My purpose for this camera is to carry it around when the size and weight of my DSLR is restrictive.  That's the importance of these little cameras, always ready to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment