Friday, February 11, 2011

Box Canyon Pool

Here be the last photograph from my recent trip to Ouray, CO.  Box Canyon Falls is a local tourist attraction, but it's free during winter, which fits my budget.  One cloudy afternoon, I was chasing an abstract composition along the lower box canyon trellises.  Deliberately moving slowly because ahead of me was a group of folks playing with cameras, too.  While I waited for them to do whatever they were taking so long to do, I noticed all of the colour in this grotto at the bottom of the falls.  Normally I use a tripod to manage my pace while working, this day I was gifted with the forced patience that comes from understanding that mountains (and tourists) move in a geologic and glacial timeframe.  This canyon sees very little direct sunlight in the winter, but that frozen fill flash is just enough to bring some detail out of the shadows.  I'm also a sucker for that wonderful turquoise against grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment