Thursday, June 30, 2011

Ephemeroptera

In the early summer clouds of mayflies swirl above shiny bright surfaces driven by one impulse.  Sex before death!  They have a short life span after adulthood, hence the name "Mayfly"... they might not be around in June!  Talk about the need to make haste, gather your rosebuds and all that stuff.
Ephemeroptera, a beautiful name for their order.  Sigmulla minuta as it rests, interrupted from the Mayfly Prom.  Alighted on my best friends fingertip, it poses defensively for the camera.  Cerci and fore-legs spread as long as possible that I may be confused for an instant and decided this is too big for my mouth.  I'll look away, little fly, time for your escape, maybe you'll impress the others at the dance.  I'm not hungry anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment